Synagogue bulletins provide a valuable window into the mission, philosophy and activities of their parent organizations, as well as into the local community in which the synagogues function. They feature minutes of synagogue meetings, summaries of club and committee activities, news and opinion pieces on Jewish and community issues, and sermon excerpts and seasonal and holiday essays from clergy. They also contain brief public service announcements, event notices and local advertisements.
Bulletins of the following synagogues are included:
- Congregation Beth Israel of Washington Heights: September 1950-April 1980 (with gaps)
- Congregation Beth Hillel of Washington Heights: November 1974-March 1980 (with gaps)
- Congregation Beth Hillel & Beth Israel: May 1980-October 1992 (merger of the above two synagogues)
- Congregation Kehilath Jeshurun: January 1925-July 1992
- Institutional Synagogue: November 1937-June 1940
- Lincoln Square Synagogue: November 1964-July 1994 (with gaps)
- Young Israel of Parkchester: January 1943-September 1984 (with gaps)
This collection of fully-searchable bulletins published by Modern Orthodox synagogues in New York City has been assembled from records held by Yeshiva University Archives. More information about these synagogues can be found in the guide to their records in the Archives’ Finding Aids Database.
This digital collection was supported in part by funds from the Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO) through the New York State Regional Bibliographic Databases Program.