Chaim (Charles) Kupferschmidt, was born in Rava, Poland in 1905, moved to the United States in 1934, and died in 1947. He was a cantor and manuscript copyist, who lived in the Bronx, New York. The Belz School of Jewish Music received the manuscripts from Kupferschmidt’s wife when the school opened in 1954 as the Cantorial Training Institute (CTI). He served briefly as the cantor at the “Sephardische shul” in Boro Park (Brooklyn, New York). One of the manuscripts has the name “Coopersmith” written on it, so he may have used that name as well.
- Information from Cantor Noah Schall, 7/14/2009