פנקס חברא תהלים
Pinḳas Ḥevra Tehilim
Ḥevra Tehilim (Skuodas, Lithuania)
Shaindling, Aharon Shalom ben Yehuda, active 19th century
Lists the founding members of the Ḥevra Tehilim in a unit of the Russian Army by name and battalion, date and town of birth, and the by-laws of this society. Also included are minutes of meetings, a list of the original founders, contributors to the Torah Fund, 14 new members, a painting of the regimental arms, a description of the journey of the regiment from Skudy to Moscow, a prayer for the Tsar and royal family, and service records of soldiers. There is a letter from Rabbi Chaim Berlin, chief rabbi of Moscow, approving of the activities of the Ḥevra and committing a regular stipend to finance its expenses. The Hebrew scribe is identified as Aharon Shalom ben Yehuda Shaindling. Features color illustrations. Founded in 1864 by 16 Polish and Russian Jews of the Fourth Infantry Koporé His Royal Highness Crown Prince of Saxony Regiment, the Ḥevra Tehilim was based near the Lithuanian town of Shkudy (Kovno Province). In 1865 it was transferred to Moscow. These Jewish soldiers in the reign of Alexander II banded together to strengthen one another, form minyanim, recite Psalms, promote study and peaceful relations among the members, and provide for care for the sick and burial of the dead. In Hebrew, Yiddish, and Russian. Original manuscript bound in red calf with gilt decorations; in protective case. Appears as Lot 190, Important Judaica: Books, manuscripts, and works of art, May 28, 1986. This ms formed the basis for the study of Michael Stanislawski entitled Psalms for the Tsar (New York: Yeshiva University Library, 1988).
37 cm. x 22 cm.
Original manuscript is a gift of the Jesselson Foundation.